Thursday, November 27, 2008

Mumbai Blasts

Was woken at 6:30 this morning (27.11.08) with a call from our neighbour, Sylvette, telling me that there would be no school this morning.  Why?  Because of the blasts in Mumbai.  Given that foreign nationals were targeted, the school had taken the decision to close for the day.   This had been the case during the previous bombings that had occurred in Hyderabad.  

The first thing you think is who do I know that is in Mumbai at the moment.  It is a place that John frequently travels to, as do many of our friends.  A neighbour returned only two days ago as she and her daughter had been there to seek the vibrant life that Hyderabad is somewhat lacking.

For those of you who are not familiar with the geography of India, I have inserted a map below detailing the main cities.

As you can see, we are a fare way from Mumbai, an hour and a half by plane.


It is Thanksgiving today and I suppose we should give thanks (to who I am not sure, as I am not a follower of any religious faith), but do think, wow, we were lucky not to be involved in that.

Tonight we celebrate with our american friends Bill, Tara and their boys, with a thanksgiving dinner at their house.  I will post photos of the event.

No comments: